Customs and Border Goods

Information on what applies to customs and border goods and frequently asked questions are found below.

Information on co-loaded trailers with goods subject to border control, for example from the UK.

If you have goods that are subject to border control by the Swedish National Food Agency or the Swedish Board of Agriculture and is loaded together with other goods, we would like to draw your attention to the following:

  • The goods must be checked and authorised by the respective authorities before the unit can leave the customs area of the port.
  • Place the goods subject to border control at the back of the unit, so that they are easily found and accessible to staff at the checkpoint for sampling.
  • The documents that are to accompany the shipment, i.e. original documents, must be placed in the unit’s document compartment or on the pallet or at the back of the trailer and be easily visible when the doors are opened.
  • Goods classified as hazardous should never be loaded together with other goods.

If the goods or documents cannot be checked by NFA staff, the unit may have to be reloaded, or returned to the UK.

If transhipment/lifting is to take place, work orders should be issued to the terminal as informed by the staff of the Swedish National Food Agency or the Swedish Board of Agriculture. Work orders can be found via this link.
Reloading to another trailer can only be done once the replacement trailer is in place, pallets cannot be stored loose on the site.

If the goods are not approved and are to be returned or destroyed, this must be notified to the terminal for proper handling.

The inspection is carried out by the Swedish National Food Agency or the Swedish Board of Agriculture at Port 3 in Skandia Harbour. A new Border Inspection Point will be opened in spring 2023 inside gate 5. Transport is organised and charged by GRT. The control centre carries out checks on all animal products but is not approved for live animals. For imports not covered by the rules of the Swedish National Food Agency or the Swedish Board of Agriculture, normal customs rules apply.

Sending Work Orders

Frequently asked questions and answers on border-crossing goods

If you cannot find the answer to your question below, please contact us at or call +46 (0) 31 339 80 03.


Reply: IG numbers are issued by the shipping company

In connection with the transition to the Swedish Customs new information provision for import declarations, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that in the Swedish Customs updated declaration manual it is stated:

Please note that the word container also includes trailers, swap bodies and containers intended for air transport.

The conclusion is therefore that in Ro/Ro cases it is correct to enter container indicator 1, and then enter the trailer number in 19 07 063 000, because trailers that arrive by boat are to be equated with a container according to the description for data element 19 07 063 000.

The trailer number must not contain any spaces or punctuation marks as this creates problems in the loading system.

Transits started in Sweden are emailed to:

Reply: The approved customs declaration must be submitted (by mail, electronically or over the counter) to the Customs & ID Control at Port Entry. Customers with a permanent card and e-Service can then make A-codes on our website. Customers without E-service and a permanent card are welcome at Port Entry.


Reply: As Gothenburg RoRo Terminal is not an authorised consignee, it is not appropriate to make import transits out to the terminal. If this happens, transits made out to Gothenburg RoRo Terminal must be cancelled over the counter at the Customs clearance office in Arendal before a new customs document is started and the goods can leave the terminal.

Reply: When importing, you can apply for DGT Authorised Consignee status with Customs. Email your details to for more information.

Reply: This is not possible at present, but we are looking for a solution. DFDS has an app where you can search for goods arriving on their ships “DFDS ferries and terminals”

Reply: It is possible to clear mixed loads and have multiple clearances per unit. However, all goods in the unit must be cleared before the unit can leave the terminal and no partial withdrawals are possible.
If you have booked several positions with goods, you should make a customs clearance per position with the correct cli & weight. If you do not do this, we will have to do a manual settlement and will charge the trailer operator.
If you have booked a position with goods, you should make a customs declaration with the correct weight. If you do not do this, we will have to make a manual settlement and we charge the trailer operator.

Reply: A description in simple language that is sufficiently precise to enable the customs authorities to identify the goods. The Swedish Customs Services have informed us that they cannot accept general terms (such as “groupage”, “general cargo”, “parts” or “goods of all kinds”) or descriptions that are not sufficiently precise.

Reply: All self-drivers to and from the UK will be checked by border police before passing through Gate 6. It is important to note that the goods must also be cleared through customs before passing through Gate 6.

Reply: Standard declarations, simplified declarations and TSPR where the goods location code DGT is filled in come to us when they are approved by customs.

Reply: If you discover that your booking with the shipping company is incorrect, contact the shipping company for a correction of the ship’s manifest

Reply: If you realise that you have made a mistake in customs clearance, go to “My pages” of the Customs Service for correction.

If this happens, you should first contact us at the terminal We then inform the customs authorities of the incident. You can then contact the customs authorities for rectification.

Reply: A border crossing certificate is a transit issued to the customs clearance office in Arendal or the consignee in Sweden/Norway. The transit is emailed to Gothenburg RoRo Terminals Customs & ID Control in connection with the arrival of the vessel. We register the unit as customs cleared. The driver collects the device and then returns to the customs clearance office in Arendal with the transit document and receives a border crossing certificate.


Reply: Authorised MRN/Customs-ID must be registered with the shipping company. It is important to follow the shipping company’s own instructions on what information is required for export bookings to the UK. When a unit is cleared in the shipping company’s system, permanent card and e-Service customers can make an A code on our website. Customers without e-Service and a permanent card are welcome at port entry.